The Lincoln Jewish Community School offers religious education from pre-school through high school. We are a jointly run school supported by Congregation B’nai Jeshurun and Congregation Tifereth Israel. With a strong desire to increase the quality of Jewish education for youth in the Lincoln community, the two Jewish schools agreed to combine resources and planning efforts to initiate a Lincoln Jewish Community School effective September 2005.
As we enter our fouth year of operation, we would like to share some of the details that make our school unique.
Mission: The mission of the LJCS is to teach our children the richness of our heritage, help them to achieve a positive Jewish identity, and encourage them to actively participate in Jewish life at home, in the community, and in the world.
Philosophy: We believe that our school must provide the student with:
- A strong Jewish identity by providing an integrated curriculum in the following areas: Holidays and History, Tanach (Torah), Mitzvot/Community, Israel, and Hebrew language.
- Opportunities to explore the spiritual aspects of religion and tradition.
- “Hands-on” experiences and programs that allow the students to observe Jewish practice in their homes and at the school.
- To enable students to develop a strong Jewish identity and to become knowledgeable about Jewish religious observances, history, and values.
- To foster strong relationships between children, parents, teachers, and administrators.
- To provide opportunities to experience relevant aspects of Jewish practice and tradition through active experiences with study, participation in worship services, and celebration of holidays.
Curriculum: The LJCS has created a curriculum to meet the developing needs of children from pre-school through high school. Specific topic areas and goals have been developed to ensure a well-rounded, appropriate Jewish education for all ages. While with this new curriculum each grade will certainly be given a well-rounded Jewish education, it has been decided that each grade level will have a different Judaic focus for each year, thus allowing for some form of developmentally appropriate immersion in each of our main topics every year. The curriculum is evaluated yearly, with changes made as needed. Textbooks for each grade level are chosen based on their quality and relevancy to the topic area for that year.
All classes meet at Congregation Tifereth Israel, 3219 Sheridan Boulevard.
Gan Simcha and Grades 1 & 2 meet on Sundays from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm.
Grades 3 – 7 meet on Sundays from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm and Wednesdays from 4:15 – 6:00 pm.
Hallah High meets on Sundays from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
- Rabbis who play an integral role in Jewish education for all ages.
- Extensive libraries available at both locations.
- Kosher snacks made available to all ages.
- Tzedakah/Mitzvah activities chosen by grade levels.
- Tutors available for additional Hebrew instruction.
- Opportunities for community involvement.
- Parent/teacher conferences offered during the year.
- Progress Report Cards given to families twice a year.
- Additional resources available for music, dance, and art enrichment activities.
- Low tuition rates.
Andrea Halpern, Curriculum Director
Tracy Gordon, Administrative Coordinator
Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the LJCS can be addressed to the school administration. We welcome your input and look forward to another successful and fun year at the Lincoln Jewish Community School.